Junior Linux System Administrator
What will you be doing?
The R&D Systems Engineering Group focuses on support researcher’s IT needs. Staff charge directly to projects or programs, and not to a centralized budget. Our goal is to enable research while protecting assets, especially from cyber incidents.
As a Junior Linux System Administrator, you will be performing Linux Desktop, Server and NAS support under supervision of another Linux System Administrator. You will work with other Linux System Administrators and perform tasks assigned to you by them. You will help troubleshoot various Linux Desktop issues with the customers and help run to ground any issues they might be experiencing.
There are various technical tasks that will need to be performed in this role. Some of these task can include:
- Troubleshoot various Linux desktop and server related issues.
- Install, configure and maintain CentOS and RedHat servers.
- Install, configure and maintain Ubuntu and MacOS desktops.
- Install, configure and maintain system software, both commercial packages and various freely available software (including Apache, MySQL, Networker, Oracle, PHP, etc).
- Patch both system and 3rd party vendor software to ensure security and stability. Monitor for patch releases and work with the customers and other admins to ensure the patches are applied in a timely manner.
- Provide consulting in both the selection and purchase of hardware and software.
- Ensure the secure and effective operation of computing systems through compliance with client procedures and IT Internal Operating Procedures.
- Work with other system engineers and vendors to resolve both hardware and software issues.
- Work with local bargaining unit personnel on hardware installation and hardware repairs where it is outside the scope of a vendor.
- Utilize Internet resources (mailing lists, blogs, etc.) to resolve problems with open source software.
- Develop and document procedures for startup, execution, shutdown, backup and recovery.
- Monitor systems performance.
- Support data storage systems and backup services.
- Tier 2 and 3 Desktop support for other groups, including Executive support and Solution Center.
- Associates Degree in Computer Science (or related field) or combined work experience plus education of 3 years.
- Excellent interpersonal skills suitable for user support and the ability to work well with peer system administrators is required.
- Experience with creating scripts using BASH or other scripting languages is required.
- Demonstrated capabilities to work in a dynamic environment.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of multiple operating systems is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of open source web application services (Apache, Tomcat, JBoss, etc.) is desired.
- Previous experience working in a government, scientific or other highly technical environment strongly desired.
- Individual must be able to work under supervision and take direction to complete tasks assigned.
- Good documentation skills, including ability to prepare simple documentation web pages are also desired
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program.
M Force Staffing is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. In addition to federal law requirements, M Force Staffing complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. M Force Staffing is an E-Verify Employer